The best thing that anyone can do to keep from getting in serious trouble with the Internal Revenue Service is to take care of back IRS tax before you have to look into stopping wage garnishments. If you waited and need to find out how do you stop wage garnishment or how to get a tax lien removed here are a few of the top facts that you need to know.
1. Although you should hire someone to help you with your back taxes as soon as possible regardless of how much money you owe, most tax professionals will usually suggest seeking help at a certain amount. Stopping wage garnishments can be difficult so you should find someone to help you. If you owe the IRS between 10,000 and 25,000 dollars, you should consider hiring a tax professional so that the IRS does not enact a levy against you or wages.
2. A federal tax lien, with can be taken on personal property or estate holdings, is one of the legal claims the government can take against your property when you neglect or fail to pay a tax debt.
3. Taxpayers who file an Offer, also known as a settlement amount, based on a claim of doubt as to liability, will need to establish that they have not otherwise had an opportunity to dispute a tax liability in the past. This is another case when en experienced tax expert will be more than helpful.
4. Though it might seem so, taxes have not always been the same in the United States. In 1862, in order to support the Civil War effort, Congress enacted the first income tax law for the nation. There were much stricter rules about who had to pay it then which have vastly changed in a century and a half.
5. During the Civil War, a person earning from 600 to 10,000 dollars per year paid tax at the rate of three percent. Keep in mind that with inflation, these numbers would look much different.