How to Stop a Wage Garnishment

Filing bankruptcy online

Do you need help to stop a wage garnishment? A tax garnishment is also known as tax levy. This is a tool used by the Internal Revenue service to collect back taxes. The IRS will place a tax lien or levy or garnish your wages to make sure you pay your tax debt. If you are facing back taxes you may need help to stop a wage garnishment. To stop a wage garnishment you will probably need help from an attorney.

The first step in how to avoid wage garnishment is to contact the IRS or other government agency. You have probably already received notice of the garnishment or levy. You need to go into action to stop a wage garnishment immediately after receiving this notice.

You should contact the agency within 30 days. If you cannot pay the full debt to stop a wage garnishment, you can set up a payment plan with the agency. Make sure you keep up your end of the deal and may timely payments. If you do not, the levy or wage garnishment process can begin.

You should also contact an attorney that is trained to help stop a wage garnishment. These professionals can help you find different options that can help stop a wage garnishment. You want to make sure to find an affordable, yet knowledgeable lawyer to help with this payroll garnishment. You do not want to find yourself in a situation where you owe the attorney more than you owe in back taxes. An attorney can submit an offer of compromise to stop a wage garnishment.

The last resort to stop a wage garnishment is to file for bankruptcy. While it may stop a wage garnishment, it does not clear the tax debt. This is a last resort; you should contact bankruptcy attorneys in your area for assistance in understanding this process.

As you can see, you can stop a wage garnishment. You just need to address the situation quickly. Getting help from an attorney is also going to help you navigate through this somewhat complex and often stressful situation.
Find out more about this topic here.

6 responses to “How to Stop a Wage Garnishment”

Leave a Reply